Thursday, February 28, 2008

Affirmative Action- Another Form Of Racisim?

I got an e-mail from my Godmother a few days ago telling me all about this great teaching position she had gotten. She loves the job and they love her, but; the only problem is she's white.

What's that you say? She's being denied a job simply because of the color of her skin? I thought that problem had been taken care of back in the 50's and 60's with the civil rights movement. Surely this cannot be true.

Well, my friends I regret to say it is true. We now live in a country where a person can already be on a job as a temporary employee, doing a great job, and well liked by their associates, but unable to obtain a permanent position because they are not the "right" color.

Now, being a woman in the workforce I realize that affirmative action could actually work in my favor at some point in time, but at what cost? Are there no better alternatives out there? Let me know what you think.


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been unemployed for 2.5 years - can't get a job because I'm white and only speak English! (feel free to ad that as a comment on your blog)